Sunday, July 6, 2008

Positive Psychology

There simply isn't another way to view life.

How do you explain to yourself, the events which happens to you especially when the event is a problem or a disadvantaged situation? Do you catch yourself saying something like this?

"Why do bad things always happen to me? I feel so stupid. I never learn. The whole world is set against me."

In Martin Seligman's book "Learned Optimism", you too, will discover the above sentences could be be characterised as being:
a. permanent - always, never
b. pervasive - always happen, whole world
c. personal - to me, I.... against me.

The way forward then becomes immediately obvious. Change the way you explain matters to yourself guarding against the words which would convey a permanent, pervasive and personal negative message.

For example, I would do differently :
a. be specific - it is this one matter and not all matters
b. avoid the use of these words: always, never
c. be nice to yourself, its easier than you think

You can do this too. In fact, you can CHOOSE to do this right now.

Then just watch how the world then becomes a better place, simply because you have changed the way you would look at it. Look at how problems seem easier to solve, simply because you are looking at it differently, more objectively, not self blaming, not self judging.

All behaviours are chosen. In another sense, I could say, it is up to you to choose being positive and you could choose to be negative. You could reply, its absurd that one would choose to be negative, miserable and unhappy. The unfortunate truth is simply there for you to see.

ALL our Behaviours ARE Chosen.

Choose Rightly !

No comments: